Monday, October 5, 2009

Animal Control

I received a call from Clay, the animal control guy.  He said someone had been complaining about Mister and Sister running in the pasture across the road from the house.  We are surrounded by about 400 acres of cow pastures.  While it is true that Mister and Sister run in the pastures, so do all the other dogs in the area.  For some reason my dogs have been singled out and threatened with time in the dog pound.  I see Tornado the black lab walking up the road every day.  And Daisy the 15 year old mut doesn't even get out of the road when you honk.  The beagle at the end of the road chases the car every time I drive by.  Mister and Sister are in exercising the cows.  We need to have healthy, fit cows in Tennessee.  By the time Mister and Sister are done running them through the fields, they've been sufficiently exercised.  Buddy Welch, the cow's owner  knows the dogs hang out there and he's fine with it as long as they don't nip at the cows' heals.      We installed the invisible fence a few years ago to keep the dogs at home.  The stepson was weedeating under the fences and he cut the wire which rendered the invisible fence useless.  Repairing the invisible fence is on Fred's to do list of things to fix around the farm but it's WAY down at the bottom of that list.  I'm all about keeping animals responsibly immunized, fed and contained, but we are surrounded by several hundred acres.  It's a little weird to keep them chained.  Being the reasonable, responsible, respecful woman that I am, (anyone who knows me, please wipe the grins off your faces) I agreed to keep them chained up until Fred fixes the invisible fence.  As I am chaining them up, I am fully aware that these dogs could possibly be chained to that fence for two years.  Fred does intend to get to it.  He intends to get everything done on his to do list.  Trouble is that the list grows much quicker than he completes each project.  So I am going to take a picture of my poor pitiful farm dogs sulking in the corner of the yard, completely demoralized, defeated, and depressed.  The chickens come right up to them and peck the food right out of their bowls.  The goats wander by and eat the leaves from the trees by the fence that they are chained to.  The horses wander by and eat the grass all around their dog house.  They just lay there sulking.    

2 comments:

  1. Neicy, What the .....??? I thought you liked the city. Country girl gone.....to feed the goats? OK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you reading my blog. Yes, it's time to go home and feed the goats

    ReplyDelete