Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Rainy Days


It's been raining pretty hard today. The goats are out in the back pasture, the flowers (what's left after the feasting of the goats) look great, the chickens are loving all the great worms that the beautiful rains bring to the surface for their delight. The rain brings one thing to mind for me - soup. When I was a child my mom always put on a pot of soup when it rained. It's the ultimate comfort food and takes me back to my childhood every time. Try this recipe for the best beef and tomato soup you'll ever eat.
1.5 pounds of stew beef
one onion quartered
2 cloves of garlic chopped
2 stalks of celery
three carrots
2 or 3 potatoes, quartered
1 quart of whole tomatoes
3 or 4 quarts of beef broth
egg noodles
salt and pepper to taste
Brown the beef in a dab of olive oil. Add the onion and the garlic in with the beef just for a minute. Add the beef broth, celery, carrots, potatoes and tomatoes add salt and pepper to taste. (I always add a dab of crushed red pepper because I like a bit of spice in all my food) Let everything simmer for a couple of hours to cook the vegetables and tenderize the beef. About 1/2 hour before serving, add a couple of handfuls of egg noodles. Serve with a crusty loaf of warm bread. Sit out on the porch with the people you love the most, enjoy the soup and watch the rain fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment