Thursday, September 10, 2009

Abandoned Horses


I left the beaches of Los Angeles after many years and I ended up on a small farm just outside of Nashville. I don't know anything about farm living. I just wanted a more peaceful life, four seasons and neighbors with american values. I certainly got quiet and peaceful. I love my farm and I put many hours into the maintenance of it. My priorities have certainly shifted. For instance, while living at the beach I never thought I would spend $3,500 on a used zero turn mower. I have exchanged mornings standing on the pier sipping on a starbucks while watching the surfers for sitting on the porch with a hot cup of tea watching the sun come up over the pastures and listening to the roosters crow.
I have had many trials through the five years I have been here. I have learned some of the quirks of simple living such as 'simple neighbors,' simple interests, simple food.
I started out building my vegetable and flower gardens. I am constantly learning through trial and error about changing seasons, bugs, organic gardening and the trials and tribulations that come with that concept. I have spent lots of money trying to raise free range chickens for farm fresh eggs. I have learned that successful chickens are completely contingent on the kindess of my two dogs, Mister and Sister. They will act completely uninterested for months while the chickens free range through the pastures. Then one day - zap - they kill the entire flock in a matter of seconds. I believe that they are not malicious but trying to play. They have "played" hundred of chickens to their death. I am learning that the dogs and the chicken will NOT successfully co-habitate. I am currently working on a system that will allow the chickens to free-range and allow the dogs to roam as well. We'll see how that goes....
I have inherited 2 horses that I know absolutely nothing about. I am told that one has some hoof problems. The farrier is scheduled to arrive at 4:00 today. I am learning their personalities. I have to feed them, brush them, pull the briars from their manes. I stacks of Horse self help books by my bed. I pick the brains of everyone at Tractor Supply and the local Co-op. I have been blessed with lots of free advice and information.
I just purchased two pygmy goats which I intend to use to help maintain the pastures. Their voracious apetites are my spin on 'green' pasture maintenance minimizing my need for the lawnmower. They have been here two days and are slowly adapting to their home. I will update everyone daily on the farm life and share my hands on learning experiences about horses, goats and chicken raising. I also have a wild turkey that showed up injured in early May. He is now a healthy, vocal and integral part of life on the farm. As I learn things I'll pass it on and, who knows, I might just inspire someone to swap their surfboard for a $3,500 used zero turn mower!

No comments:

Post a Comment