Friday, September 18, 2009

Fish Tacos with homemade tortillas

Running to the store is a big deal here on the farm. It's not convenient and we don't have a nice store. I have committed to making the things I need instead of buying them whenever possible. I grow my own vegetables,  herbs and flowers. I raise my own eggs. I make homemade preserves, salad dressings, brown sugar and bread. Not only do I save a lot of money this way, everything is fresher, better tasting and chemical free. Today I attempted homemade tortillas to serve with fish tacos. 

Flour Tortillas

3 cups of flour
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup lard
1 cup warm water

cut the lard into the flour with a fork, add the water, knead the dough until it becomes firm. Let it rest for 30 minutes.

Roll into 12 balls. These are my balls.  They were kind of sticky so I dusted them lightly with flour before pressing them flat.

















Either roll the dough out on a lightly dusted surface or use a tortilla press (I found one at the cast iron skillet outlet outside of Chattanooga) OK, so it's not exactly a circle.  Cook for about 30 seconds on medium high heat on each side. Stack and serve














Everyone loved the fish tacos.  I made the sauce with  half mayonaise, half sour cream, chipotles in adobe sauce, a squirt of lemon, and a dab of sugar. I garnished it with fresh cilantro.



















I used red snapper that was caught on a recent trip to Florida.  In California we used a lot of mahi mahi.  In Tennessee we cook with alot of catfish and tilapia.  Shrimp would be good as well.  Try the recipe and enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment